Convicted Rapist’s Release Questioned After Killing Spree

img 6917

The brutal killing of six people and a rapist’s suicide in rural Oklahoma has shocked the community and spurred calls for accountability. Jesse McFadden, a convicted rapist and grand larcenist, allegedly killed his wife and five teenagers before dying by suicide. McFadden had already been in prison in 2017 when he was charged with new sex crimes related to the use of a contraband cellphone. But he was released in 2020, and his case had been in the court system for two and a half years. Questions have been raised as to why McFadden was released if he was facing new sex crime charges, allegedly committed while behind bars serving his rape sentence, and if the deaths could have been prevented. Families of the victims and state lawmakers are asking for accountability, and a bill is being proposed to prevent the release of inmates accused of committing certain sex crimes, such as rape and child sex abuse, while incarcerated.

McFadden had been convicted of first-degree rape and grand larceny in 2003 and was sentenced to 20 years in prison. He was cited seven times for various infractions while in prison, including having tobacco and engaging in sexual conduct with another inmate. In 2013 and 2016, he was cited for possessing a cellphone, and in 2017, charges of child pornography and soliciting sexual conduct/communication with a minor were brought against him. A trial was rescheduled multiple times. He was considered a “level 4” inmate, reserved for those who meet their program requirements, and maintained good personal hygiene and a satisfactory relationship with staff and others.

Despite his history of misconduct, McFadden was eligible for release in October 2020 under a state law that allows violent felons to be set free after serving at least 85% of their sentence. He was released but was arrested the following month on new charges and jailed for five days before being let go on a $25,000 bond. A spokesperson for the Department of Corrections said he had not yet been convicted, and so he fit the criteria to be released.

When McFadden was released, he had completed his sentence and was not on probation. However, he was still required to register as a sex offender for life and was checking in with the local sheriff’s office every 90 days, as required. McFadden had married Holly, his wife, who had three children, Rylee Allen, Michael Mayo, and Tiffany Guess, who were among the victims. Two of the victims, Ivy and Brittany Brewer, were friends with Tiffany and routinely slept over at the rental property where the McFaddens lived just outside the small town of Henryetta.

All of the victims, as well as McFadden, were shot in the head with a 9 mm pistol, and the police made the grim discovery on the day McFadden was scheduled to appear in a Muskogee County court for the start of a jury trial. As a result, families of the victims and state lawmakers are asking why McFadden was released and whether the deaths could have been prevented. Oklahoma lawmakers are proposing a bill to prevent the release of inmates accused of committing certain sex crimes while incarcerated. The tragedy has shocked the community and raised many questions about the legal system and the rights of victims.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *